After the conclusion of the Giants’ season, GM Dave Gettleman had a “very extensive” and “no holds barred” conversation with Eli Manning about his future with the team. Since then, there hasn’t been a whole lot in the way of conversation. On Monday, Manning’s agent Tom Condon confirmed that the two sides have not engaged in contract talks in recent weeks.
“It’s just too early,” Condon said.
The Giants may ask Manning to take a pay cut in order to stay on board for 2019. Manning is set to carry a $23.2MM salary next year and, speculatively, one has to imagine that the Giants would stick it out with the 38-year-old if he was willing to accept a bit of a trim. If Manning holds his ground, then it’s not hard to imagine Gettleman going in another direction.
The Giants went 5-11 in 2018, but they found some success in the second half of the year and went 4-4 over their final eight games. Defenses were kept honest with Saquon Barkley‘s running later in the season, which allowed Manning to thrive. The veteran QB wound up completing a career-high 66% of his passes last year for 4,299 yards and 21 touchdowns against eleven interceptions.
For what it’s worth, Condon said that he expects Manning to move forward with the Giants in 2019. He also echoed his client’s desire to remain in New York.
“I think he’d love to come back,” said Condon. “Guys love to play their whole careers with one team, if they have a good experience with that team.”
Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.